Podcast: Play in new window
Podcast for August 17 - School Safety and Classroom Technology
The Team: Kate Nitzken, Cana Herron, Mary Nitzken, Matt Nitzken
Making the Grade -
1) Research Says Screen Time Can Be Good For Your Kids
Read More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2013/07/17/research-says-screen-time-can-be-good-for-your-kids/
Read More about British Censorship: UK considers stepping up Internet blocking
2) Adaptive Testing Gains Momentum – The team discusses adaptive testing for school use.
Read More: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/07/10/36adaptive_ep.h32.html?tkn=ZNPFLnR1qhQvTMzXikdrLFzjI%2FeU3jVaIzs9&cmp=clp-edweek
3) School Nurses new role in Children’s Health – The team discusses how to team with the school nurse effectively. Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444358804578016221407143166.html
Mary provided tips on healthy habits at home will help provide a healthy school environment including the –Vampire sneeze, handwashing 20 sec, best use of hand sanitizer and more.
Read more: My Healthy School Tips: http://www.myhealthyschool.com/wellness/nurse.php
4) The latest technology for teachers – Teh team discussed some of the new apps on Pinterest.
Read More: http://eatoneducationalinsights.edublogs.org/category/tech-gadgets/
5) Last Discussion Topic: Meet your child’s New Teacher – The team discussed the robotic teacher concept.
Read More: http://www.usaweekend.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013308090008
Final Thoughts and ideas for Parents and Teachers
Read More: Matt talked about new developments fro teachers at Google: http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/16/revamped-google-maps-for-ios-launches-adds-ipad-indoor-maps-enhanced-navigation/
Kate discussed lesson planning apps to help first year and returning teachers to get organized early. Some of the highest rated are i Plan Lessons (which costs $4.99) and Teacher Plan Light (free) to keep digital lessons that can be shared with students and administration. They can be reused and updated very easily and you don’t jam up your schools server with your personal work.
“The science of today is the technology of tomorrow.” –Edward Teller (Hungarian Born Theoretical Physicist)